Sunday, April 21, 2019

#HomeMadeFilmFest #May2019Edition

of course, it happened by accident. It's dour chilly Easter Sunday & I'm procrastinating a million things I should be doing (mostly cleaning).
Fell into watching "Peter's Friends" and have decided for the next 9 days, I should watch at least one film that made me fall in love with a place I'll get to visit.
I know it's not a perfect film but there's some bits to like quite a lot. It's the first film I remember Imelda Staunton from. And she & Hugh Laurie pull off a tough storyline in a somewhat uneven script. plus, Tony Slattery making everyone wholly uncomfortable is always worth a wathc.

There's some absolute musts - "Pride" - because I'll get to see a good bit of Wales and see Bronwen Lewis sing in Swansea and I'll take a picture with Mark Ashton blue plaque and visit 'Gay's The Word'.  And a Richard Curtis, as I'll be meeting up with Emma (& hopefully him).
Something Shakespeare, I guess. I might cheat & count "Endeavour" as an Oxford contribution. Maybe 'Wimbledon"?

But tons of options. I'm definitely open to suggestions.  Is there a film you love that takes place in England? Or even if it's somewhere I'm not going - what's the film you adore that  makes you want to travel to a special spot?
I want to hear your best story.
I'll be updating here.  And posting throughout the trip.

21 April - "Peter's Friends"
22 April - "Finding Your Feet"
23 April - "Little Dorrit"*
24 April - "The Snapper"
25 April - "Notting Hill"
26 April - "Bend It Like Beckham"
27 April - "Pride"
28 April - "Howard's End"
29 April - "Truly, Madly, Deeply"

Eventually, "Upstart Crow" got thrown in the mix. This list is just a tiny dent.  I'll visit "84 Charing Cross Road" & wander by the Savoy, I hope. Hammersmith Broadway for the Rik Mayall memorial and hopefully a visit to the Comedy Store.
I could visit a million times & never take in enough of the culture.  It's just beautiful.





*I did Little Dorrit in bits throughout but didn't do another film on the Tuesday, when I started.



No comments:

Post a Comment