Tuesday, March 13, 2012

man, I love cooking

It takes a bit for me to get ambitious sometimes, particularly if I'm just cooking for me but I really do enjoy it. Even in our tiny kitchen.
So I was recently directed to a sustainable practices butcher here in L.A. which I'm thrilled about. I have no interest in being a vegetarian. I like protein. & meat. but I am seriously interested in the quality of meat I'm eating & where it comes from. Please check out Lindy & Grundy. Their site has a ton of information that I will not repeat. Melissa, who handles all their curing, helped me with my decision making. I picked up a pork top sirloin cut & some lamb medallion.
Sunday morning is also the Farmer's Market near my place, just off Hollywood & Vine. Obviously the options are seasonal but there's a very good herb stand there all the time (don't just take my word for it - Jimmy Kimmel was buying mint!). They had some gorgeous sage & they also have selections of mushrooms. I picked up a bag of shitakes.

So after a little searching for ideas, I came across this for Pork Tenderloin & did some adjusting. This is for rosemary but I subbed in the fresh sage. Due to the size of cut I was using, I halved the marinade. & used cippolini onions. For red wine I used a temperanillo, as that was what I had on hand. I wouldn't go sweeter (like sherry) with this recipe but maybe something a bit bolder like a pinot noir. I hold to the rule that I don't cook with what I won't drink.
Also, I did not make the polenta. I debated doing a side of some noodles but had brussel sprouts & some white beans instead.
It was really terrific & pretty easy, despite the somewhat fussy browning of the pork & the completing the cooking after the onions.
It was really tasty & a bit sweeter than I had expected. The cut of pork had a solid chuck of fat which I left on for cooking but did not eat. I also did not use any celery & did not miss it.
The sprouts were tossed in olive oil, sea salt & cracked black pepper. this Ina Garten recipe gives a good gage for measurement if you need.

The lamb is marinating & I will put up that recipe along with any notes tomorrow. I like to explain if I tweak anything & why. I'm debating on using some Hefe for that & am still undecided.

Photos here, along with my shopping adventures & some other produce I picked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment