Tuesday, August 16, 2016

POGUEMAHONE!!!

IPOD SHUFFLE GAME Day 4
The Pogues "Streams of Whiskey" (Demo)
Those parenthesis matter because then you know it's from the fantastic box set, "Just Look Them Straight In the Eye and Say..POGUEMAHONE!!!"
Back in 2008, I saw a press release from Rhino that it was coming out. Sent a link to my pal Stephen Fearing, knowing he was headed to UK to tour, with the comment "If I was going to be in Ireland & I knew it was almost Tom's (it was) birthday, I'd be doing some shopping". haha. banter exchanged. life moves on.
cut to later in the summer & SF is gigging at the Livery in Benton Harbor. so I rent a car & head over (from Chicago).
Gorgeous evening. good beer. chatting after gig. I probably brought a treat of some description
& he's like 'oh wait I have something for you' & pulls that box set out of his bag.
Gobsmacked, me. Will always be one of my favorites things because it was so kind of him & it's UK release. Just a real treat.
I've loved The Pogues forever. have most of the classics on vinyl. Just one of my faves. & the real treat of this set is all the material with Kirsty MacColl. Not just "Fairytale" but tons of other great tunes.
I love it. I love having the cuts from soundtracks & the demos & the live bits.
So with all 5 discs loaded into itunes, odds were a Pogues tune would show.
So glad it's one of the few they did a video for. It's even Cait O'Riordan era!
Not so glad Shane chose to appear in just his pants (:42 mark)
Streams of Whiskey

No comments:

Post a Comment