Sunday, September 18, 2011

Farmers Market Fun!

It is such a beautiful day here-perfect for my first svisit to the Hollywood Farmers Market
It's about a block's walk from the Hollywood & Vine stop on the train so an easy 'commute' for me (& close enough to stop at Trader Joes too)
I got there a bit late, which is good & bad. There was a decent crowd but not too tough to navigate. My first impression, entering on Selma, was that it was all takeaway food & the odd t-shirt or incense vendor but once I turned down Ivar I found the real produce portion.
There was a great selection most places & very reasonably priced. Lots of zucchini & yellow squash, peaches. Not as much corn as you'd see in Chicago or Michigan this time of year. Some were specialties, like just potatoes or herb starter plants. There was even a stall from a seafood farm. I already had clams in the house but I'll look there another time.
I got some great finds - heirloom grape, cherry & teardrop tomatoes, honeydew, purple garlic & Persian sweet limes, which I didn't know existed. I'm excited about trying them out in recipes & it's great fun hearing everyone's suggestions.
Check out the photos of my finds
& don't be surprised if there's more of the results in the next day or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment