Friday, January 6, 2017

Let's Go Cubs!!!

About a million years ago....ok sometime in the 80s, my grandparents got Cubs tickets - one of those bus day trip things.
T
hey were huge fans & loved Chicago. 
So we got my Grandpa a hat for Father's Day. I honestly don't know if I ever saw him happier.
He was just....thrilled to bits to have it to wear to the game. And it was a day they talked about for years. Whenever I went home, Grandma would always ask how Ron Santo was doing, because living in Chicago, naturally I had the inside scoop (I didn't).
It's a mixed history. They're the 'other team' we rooted for. #Tigers4Life. Back when there was no inter-league play. A Cubs/Tigers WS would be a sign of the end times.
But I always liked them. During the time I lived there I got more involved, paid better attention. We used to put the tv in the backyard to watch while BBQ-ing. With the sound off, but Santo calling on the radio.
I used to joke about 2003 being my fault as much as Bartman. I left work during that game (my boss couldn't take it & sent me home). And that all happened right after I walked into the house. I know my ex always blamed me. So it's the day I should've known to leave.
I certainly drifted away from paying as much attention after we split & when I moved to Los Angeles.
Like I said - a mixed history.  I feel a bit like their win exorcises that demon.

But I met & worked with some amazing fans. People I still adore that I know are so happy today. Juan, Mario, Christian, Jane, Eric and many more.
It's a fun city to be in when they do well at sports. Picasso will have a hat on. There will be more parties than work for the next week. I can't even fathom the parade. I hope it goes on for miles - from the river all the way up to Wrigleyville.
It was great seeing such a tough battle between 2 old school cities with huge baseball hearts and I wish nothing but the best to Cleveland for the future.
What an amazing bit of history to see happen. Or have relayed to me via messages because I was too nervous to watch.
Now if someone wanted to go put red & blue ribbons or flowers on Glenn & Mildred Hinchman's graves, I'd appreciate it.


(original post on FB, 3 Nov. 2016) 

No comments:

Post a Comment